mercredi 6 janvier 2016

My Writing Style

Even though I've mentionned it before, I'll mention it in another way again: my writing style could be considered atypic.
In general, the characters are at the mercy of the writing style, and to some extent, the author's voice (not to be confused with the character's voice), but for me it's the opposite: The writing style is at the mercy of the characters.

Why have I chose this style ? For two reasons.

The first reason is pretty simple: to distinguish myself somewhat. While I do not believe to be the only one who thought of using such style, it's not widely used.

The second reason is because it make sense to me, especially in a book series based on Point Of View Characters, in which each chapter is written from the exclusive point of view of a character, with its thoughts, feelings, flash-backs and the like. I wanted to go even further, so I added things like exclusive figures of speech, specific writing structure, but also specific wording in relation to the character, replete with overall and contextual symbolism.

How does that translate for my books ?

In Discovery: Anvil, The character is extremely reflective, but thoughtful, also related to his occupation as an scientist, hence the abundance of thought speech. I used the Antonomasia figure of speech, which is basically using a proper noun as a common noun, or the opposite. Later on, there's a First person section (the book is in third person limited viewpoint). Specific words relating to ice are recurrent throughrout the novella, and snails are part of the overall symbolism representing Anvil. There's more, but I wanted you to get an understanding of what you're going to get from my work.

In my upcoming novella/novelette, titled Discovery: Tiki, the character is a teenager, so her speech will be much more informal. Furthermore, it will not feature any thought tags at all, them being integrated within the narrative. It will also feature exclusive figures of speech.

Another novella/novelette, which will be the last one comprisng the book Discovery, will feature a middle-aged man written entirely in first person viewpoint.

So when you'll have all four viewpoint characters, you'll be able to perceive very different approach to writing, even different ways of narrating the story throughout the entire D.Sea Scrolls Series. So if you find my style strange, know that it was done in purpose. I want you to truly experience in a vicarious way the way a character sees the world, with their words and their experience, butressed with figures of speech that reflects who they are.
I remember an editor of mine basically saying this: "You are mixing literary tropes within the thriller genre, but you need to ask yourself how much are you willing to let your potential readers out of their comfort zone ?"
Let me then ask you, my readers, a question:

Within the thriller genre, how much are you willing to read of your comfort zone?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire